Friday, August 24, 2012

Realm Related

Good Friday Folks!

It's my first Friday post on the new blog, and as I have set myself up on a schedule, that means Realm Related! Fridays I will share news about my writing, insights...who knows!

This week, I do have some news to share!

Obviously, since you're reading this, you already know about the new blog! Thank you for checking it out! Please, make sure to follow!

Today is day one of my Cafepress Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/maggiehenningandtherealm
I have created a variety of items, all relating to book one, Phoenix Rising. Some are flat out funny, others will let fans show off their love of the books.

Now... before you say "WTH? She's trying to make money?" (Don't lie...you were thinking it) let me tell you about this...

One of my kids has Pervasive developmental Disorder. PDD is an Autism Spectrum Disorder that deeply effects a person's social skills and abilities. This has been challenging for my child. parents- you know how your kids always want to be "on the go", participating in sports, clubs, complaining becaude you won't just drop them off at the mall to hang out with their friends? These are things that parents sympathize with. And, these are examples of things my child never does. They prefer to stay home, usually absorbed in a book or game. They try to avoid situations were they have to interact with others. Often times, they misunderstand social cues. While the "typical" kid hears "Nice Shoes!" from a peer and immediately knows if that peer is picking on them or complimenting them, my child has to spend a long time trying to figure it out.

The Last Phoenix Shop items have a variety of prices, but all base prices are set by Cafepress themselves. I have "mark ups", and I have kept those mark ups incredibly low- only a dollar in most cases. 50 % of all the money I get from the sale of these items will be donated to Cure Autism Now, a charity that is working to get funding for research related to Autism and its related disorders.

The number of diagnosed children on the Autism Spectrum continues to show just how prevalent this condition is. For families, I can tell you the diagnosis day (DD) is, at first, like having a death in the family. When we heard ours, we spent a day thinking of all the things my child would never do... but then, the next day, we brushed ourselves off and decided they could do ANYTHING, it just may require extra support.

I want you to know that anything you buy comes with not just my sincere thanks that you are supporting the characters and my books, but that you are also helping toward meeting a goal that in the future, will help so many many more.

Please, check out the shop! If there is something in particular you'd be interested in seeing, let me know! Currently, the shop has mainly items related to book one Phoenix Rising... but as the release date grows closer for book two Phoenix Burning, you can rest assured that more items will be added!

 http://www.cafepress.com/maggiehenningandtherealm

have a great day everyone!
~LCM

No comments:

Post a Comment